Friday, October 19, 2007

During the decision-making exercise, there was a lot of conflict due to the fact that we needed to get 100% votes from over 80 people with a serious time constraint of one-hour. Th e fact that we had limited information to work with did not help at all. So, there was a lot undecisiveness and conflict of opinions. Personally, I handled the chaos by using the method of Accomodation, which means that I decided that the "issue was more important to others than" for me. This was because that's how I usually react (depending). With the curve, extra-credit and the option to waive the higher grade between the 2 midterms by 5% more, I was pretty much satisfied. So, the rest was just a little collaboration, which should have been more abundant, because it would have made things easier or rather less chaotic and more peaceful. But, I still think we reached a quite desirable result.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You know what i thought was the most important thing, proper way of communicating with eachother. We had to make it more organized and throughout the whole class no one tried or helped it in any way. But regardless, even after all that chaos, we came down to a decision and everyone was happy with it so we have manegerial skills. right?

Dva said...

I agree with you in that we needed more collaboration which would/should have helped to make the decision making process more civilized and orderly.
Your accommodating method makes sense in that the proposals the class came up with were great ones that would have improved everyone grades no matter how bad you scored and also would have been “added toppings” so to speak, for those who did well, a win/win situation in other words.
I agree with you in your analysis of the situation and your approach to it. I want to encourage you however since you stated that this method is how you usually react (depending) to never be afraid to speak up for yourself and what you believe in when the occasion arises that you need to and unlike some of our classmates not to speak simply because you can/have a loud voice.

Athena

Juan Duran said...

What a crazy crazy class exercise. Un-selfish people accomodating non-collaborative people who want things their way and thats it. Not to that extreme but thats where i think it hovered. I agree with your accomodating approach, and i was going to start that way also, up until 10 minutes into the exercise. I detatched myself from it all after a while,and maybe that was'nt the best for the class, but i guess i took that approach for whatever reason. What vivek says is absolutely correct! We needed an organizer, and no one tried to do that at all. Whatever the first person who stepped up to lead the class did was not at all organizing, but have to give him credit for accepting the role.

b_o_r_i_n_b_l_o_g said...

I think a lot of people were out of control, I chose to be quiet, and I was satisfied after he said there was no gurantee for an essay.
Also, everyone were trying to talk at once, it was just like fighting. We weren't organize, but luckily we had a 100% vote, and finally it was over!